Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Watermarbling Madness


So out of sheer boredom I started practicing my watermarbling technique. In the name of Science, I tested and labeled all of my different colors into one or two of three categories (This took several sittings...). Green means "I can marble really well!" Yellow means "I'm OKAY at it. Use if desperate," and Red means "I cannot marble. Don't even TRY!" Green and yellow puts it in the middle between okay and good/great. A lot of the brands surprised me, I thought the cheaper ones wouldn't do it as well, but the majority of the LAC's did pretty well :)


Here's the pics from last night's adventure:

Some turned out really well! And others.... Not so much.  :/ I honestly have no clue as to how I got that rainbow splatter one :'(


Now that I live in Iowa, I figure I'll need to know how to do Cyclone and Hawkeye nails. This one turned out pretty well, despite the black not working with me very well.

This was my first attempt at Cyclone and Hawkeye nails. The black REALLY wasn't working with me here (I had it labeled as yellow, but added red to that rating), and I don't think these turned out terribly well. For practice, however, they're just more experience.

This one was my first REALLY successful nails. In fact, I'm quite proud of it.
So that was my evening. These are cheap, blank, fake nails my sister gave me when she moved out of our house. You can find them for about $5-$10 at Walmart. I just use a small dab of thick white nail polish to keep it attached to my stick.


My nails right now are blank. I'm going to do a fall-themed watermarble when I get home (I'm currently at the library... internet is internet, even if it's slower than a tortoise on a tricycle.)

3 comments:

  1. That's neat! I've tried watermarbling a couple times with zero success. White and red seem to be my biggest problems. It's a little strange seeing as I used the same brands for each colour. Greens work best for me. Maybe it's my water. Hehe. Oklahoma water isn't good for much. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's all about the formula of the polish when it comes to what will and what won't marble, and companies don't always use the same formula, even within the same line.

      Use room temperature water that's been filtered. The smaller the cup, the less you waste. I like to use shot glasses.

      Delete
    2. Update: After doing some more practicing and some more research, I found that the smaller the glass, does not necessarily mean better. I moved to a bigger glass and my marbles have turned out SO much better!

      Delete